Friday 26 February 2010

Oh the HORROR!

Scream
Neve Campbell, Courtney Cox, David Arquette....oh and Drew Barrymore
Re-invention of the Classic Slasher? Yes indeedy. Just when you thought the horror genre had limped away with the odd entrails popping up here there and everywhere, up jumps this little gem and BOOOOOOOM, hundreds more jump on the bandwagon for a bloodthirsty, gut spilling ride. Drew Barrymore's role was cleverly placed as top billing (if I remember correctly she was all over the Cinema posters and adverts etc etc) and ended up "Sliced and Diced" within the first 10 min of the film.......Awesome casting. Neve (that's Nev not Neeeeeeeeev) Campbell plays a virginal high school girl Sydney Prescott, mentally scarred by her mothers tragic murder who doesn't give it up for her Depp looky-likey Boyf Skeet Ulrich. She's the main target through out the film and plenty of "It's him"...."no no, He's the killer" ensues. Scream doesn't take itself too seriously and that's what I love about this film. Jamie Kennedy's Randy is utter genius, esp the Rules of survival.....so so true to the classic low budget slasher! There's not one character in this film that doesn't belong and even Rose McGowen's Tatum (who, I'm sorry, could probably have someones eye out with those things!) is a good compliment to the meek and mild Sydney. There's plenty of tense moments with one of my favourites (The killers at large, Sydney's at her house waiting for Tatum. She opens a door, music builds up for a climax, she closes it and there's nothing there). I was told that Scream was one of the first movies to adopt that red herring...not sure if that's true, but it's very good and have seen it in lots of other movies since. A healthier looking Courtney Cox is a refreshing change to the emaciated botoxed bore she's now become and it's interesting to see the sparks fly between her and David Arquette. As for Matthew Lillard.....he's my dirty little love secret so there will be no bad reviews from me (yes yes that goes for Scooby Doo too!!!)
An Awesome **** Stars
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Bloody Valentine 3D
Jaime King, Jensen Ackles, Kerr Smith
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!
Firstly, I'm all for this 3D malarkey, but find it so difficult to watch a movie that doesn't have colour. Yes they've managed to fine tune it a bit better that the days of Jaws 3-D and Freddy's Dead BUT it's still Red and Green!!!!! (I know, I know, I know....there are decent glasses now for the likes of Avater, but I don't have them so I'm going to continue moaning until I do)
So! Moving the viewing pleasure aside, is this movie any good? Well, It's no Shawshank Redemption but it does have it's good bits. Jensen Ackles plays his character Tom, a young man who left his home town after nearly being hacked up into little pieces by the town crazyman. 10yrs later he returns only to be suspected of some rather brutal murders that just happened to have started since he rolled by. Mmmmm! I wonder! *rolls eyes* The deaths are grusome, just the way I like them and there's small twists and turns every now and again making you wonder who the murderer really is. Moving the Viewing pleasure back in.....there are some brilliant 3-d deaths that had both my husband and I "URRRRGGGHHHH" and laugh in unison. Always a good sign. Kerr Smith (racked and racked my brain to remember where I knew him from and gave into the IMDB temptation......bloody Final Destination!!!!!!) is good as the "is he a good guy or bad guy" cop and Jaime holds her own as she always does. Was a little disappointed in the ending. All seemed too easy just to go down the route of Crazy Mentalist......with no explanation as to why he turned out that way. Causing a fatal accident in a Mine, creating a savage murdering Miner and nearly being killed by the crazy Mo Fo does NOT constitute as an excuse! Oh! and the title?? Yeah! it all happens on Valentines day. Nice!
A Respectable *** Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment